Table of Contents
Can You Sleep With a Necklace on?
We all love our jewelry. Whether it’s a pair of diamond earrings, a string of pearls, or even just a simple silver necklace, we feel naked without it. I do.
But what about when it comes time to sleep? Sleeping with large hoops is not recommended – we all know. Boring stuff.
But can you sleep with a necklace on?
Here’s a quick guide to help you determine whether or not it’s safe to sleep with a necklace on:
Table of Contents
Can you sleep with a chain on?
All in all, sleeping with a chain on if you choose the right type of necklace for your needs. While some necklace materials and chain types may be safe to sleep in, others may pose a risk of getting tangled in your hair or the wig left on for sleeping or catching on your clothing during the night.
Can necklaces choke you in your sleep?
Fortunately, the chances of someone choking to death due to wearing a necklace while they are sleeping are extremely low. I have never heard anything like that. This is due to the fact that once a person realizes they are unable to breathe, they will wake up.
And by the way an individual would have to do something to cause the chain of their necklace to be wrapped around their neck tightly enough to cause choking.
Due to the fact that there have been no reported cases of someone choking to death due to wearing a necklace while sleeping, the media has not publicized it as a danger.
Is it safe to sleep with a necklace on?
It is safe to sleep with a necklace on, although it may not be wise to wear uncomfortable jewelry to bed – the jewelry itself may be in danger.
It is important to make sure that the necklace is secure and that the pendant will not become dislodged, as this can cause damage or the necklace to be lost.
Some necklaces, such as spiked collars, are not safe to wear while sleeping.
What are the dangers of sleeping with a necklace on?
1. Necklace Can Cause Skin Irritation
Sleeping with a necklace on can have a variety of negative effects on your skin. These effects include irritation, allergies, discolouration, and infection.
- Allergies to certain metals may be triggered by skin contact, leading to rashes and blisters.
- Sweat in our sleep can also intensify an otherwise mild allergy.
- Sharp or heavy objects on the necklace may pierce the skin and cause infection.
- Dirt, pollen, and air pollution can accumulate on the necklace and irritate the skin over time.
2. Necklace Can Damage the Larynx
Sleeping with a necklace can have a negative effect on the larynx by causing compression of the airways due to the weight of the necklace or the tightness of the clasp.
This can lead to difficulty in breathing, irritation of the skin and neck, and potentially even choking if the necklace is pulled hard enough. It is important to ensure that the necklace is not too tight or too heavy, and that the clasp is secure to reduce the risk of suffocation.
3. Necklace Can Cause a Choking Feeling
The danger of sleeping with a necklace on is that the chain may twist and turn, becoming tangled in hair, leading to the links being loosened and the chain eventually breaking. Additionally, the necklace may be too tight, leading to difficulty in breathing.
If it contains sharp or heavy charms or pendants, it can cause harm to the wearer, their partner, or their children.
4. Necklace Can Cause a Ring to Grow
Sleeping with a necklace on can cause a ring to grow if the necklace is too tight and rubs against the skin. This rubbing can create friction, which can lead to the formation of a callous or hard patch of skin that begins to grow into a ring shape.
If the necklace is made of a metal or alloy, it can cause a reaction with the skin, leading to an allergic reaction, inflammation, and a ring-shaped rash.
5. Necklace Can Be a Risk for Children
It is dangerous for children to sleep with a necklace because it can cause breathing difficulties, or even strangle a child. Bead necklaces can also come loose and cause choking. Necklaces are made of heavy and sharp objects, which can cause harm to a child if worn for too long. Moreover, wearing a tight necklace can make it difficult to breathe, and if the child falls asleep with it on, it can end up being a choking hazard.
Moreover, children are curious and can put the necklace in their mouth and can accidentally lodge it in their throat. Therefore, it is best to follow safe sleep practices and avoid having anything around the neck of a sleeping baby or child.
6. Necklace Can Cause Damage to Jewelry
Wearing a necklace to bed can cause various types of damage to jewelry. It can become tangled and bent due to the tossing and turning while sleeping. Sleeping with a necklace on can cause the jewelry to become dirtier quicker than usual, requiring more regular cleaning expenses. So delicate necklaces may tangle or even break due to the movement while sleeping.
7. Necklace Can Cause Skin Allergies
Sleeping with a necklace can cause skin allergies due to the fact that necklaces can often be made from cheap metals, such as copper and nickel, that can irritate the skin.
8. Necklace Can Cause Tarnishing
Sleeping with a necklace can have a negative effect on your jewelry, as it can cause the metal to tarnish over time. This is due to the exposure to water, lotions, and perfumes while you sleep, which can damage the finish of the jewelry.
Without proper care, such as cleaning your necklace periodically with a soft cloth or mild jewelry cleaner and storing it in a cool, dry place, the metal of your necklace can tarnish more quickly, causing it to lose its shine and beauty.
What types of necklaces are safe to sleep with?
When it comes to deciding which types of necklaces are safe to sleep with, a few considerations should be taken into account.
- look for necklaces that are not too sharp or uncomfortable, as these can cause irritation or injury while sleeping.
- sturdy necklaces are likely to be the most secure, as hollow necklaces can kink and bend more easily.
- necklaces with a carat rating of 10k to 14k is recommended, as these are softer and more resilient to breaking.
What kind of damage can sleeping with a necklace on cause?
Sleeping with a necklace on can cause a variety of damages, both to the necklace and to your skin. To begin with, the necklace
- can get caught in your hair
- or dig into your skin, which can both damage the jewelry and cause discomfort and disruption to your sleep.
- can cause skin irritation due to an allergic reaction, which can become worse if the sweat produced while sleeping comes in contact with the jewelry.
- regularly sleeping with necklaces can cause them to get dirty quicker, which can require more frequent visits to the jeweler for cleaning. An example of this is wearing a diamond necklace every night, which will require the wearer to have it professionally cleaned more often.
- it can hurt a fresh lobe piercing or it can damage your Airpods if you sleep with it
What can I do to protect my necklace when sleeping?
- Sleep with a microfiber towel– less likely to get tangled in your hair or clothing
- Secure the Clasp: If you’re wearing a pendant necklace, make sure the clasp doesn’t come undone.
- Remove Your Necklace Before Bed
- Store Jewelry at Home: set aside a container on your dresser to store your jewelry. You even can store your engagement ring there if you do not want to sleep with your ring on.
- Invest in a Jewelry Safe for valuable necklaces
How do I prevent my necklace from breaking or becoming tarnished?
To prevent your necklace from breaking or becoming tarnished, here are some step-by-step instructions to help keep it looking its best:
- Store your necklace in a cool, dry place, such as a jewelry box or pouch.
- Avoid exposing it to lotions and perfumes, as these can cause the metal to tarnish
- Regularly wipe the necklace with a soft, dry cloth to remove any dirt , use a Q-tip to lightly scrub them
- Dip the necklace into the soapy water for a few minutes.
- Rinse the piece thoroughly in clean water
- Dry it completely before storing it.
Can you sleep with a cross necklace on?
Yes, you can. However, it is important to be aware of the type of necklace you have and how it might affect your sleep. A spiked collar necklace, for example, is not safe to sleep with and should be avoided. On the other hand, if your necklace is made of soft material, like a chocker, then it is safe to sleep with. It is also advisable to avoid any unnecessary accessories before going to bed, as it may disturb your sleep and leave you with a rash.
Furthermore, there is no medical evidence to back up the belief that catching some ZZZ’s with a necklace on is bad luck.
However, if you have children sleeping with you, it is always better to take off your necklace to avoid it from snapping off or hurting your little ones.
It is important to keep an eye on the link between the chain and the charm, as it can wear off with constant movement while sleeping.